[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Patrick Wheeler patrick.john.wheeler at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:29:02 CEST 2013

@Adrian May if you want that much backward compatibility you probably need
to move to an operating system that suports it.

NixOS, already mentioned by another commentator,  would be
my recommendation if you really need the backward compatibility  I just
finished compiling both Flippi and WashNGo with ghc-7.0.4.

I do not want the GHC maintainers to be tied down
by maintenance concerns any more then they already are, there time is
more productively spent on concerns other then increasing
backward compatibility.

For anyone who works on GHC thank you for helping support such a great
ecosystem that enables this level of experimentation and rate of new
features.

Patrick Wheeler

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Tom Ellis <
tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 11:35:27PM +0800, Adrian May wrote:
> > > I get a 403 FORBIDDEN on that.  How did you get it?
> >
> > I guess you just gotta know the right people ;-)
> >
> > I attached the tarball. Don't say you got it from me, OK.
>
> That tarball still doesn't contain the string "getPackageId".
>
> You're complaining that you can't build a package, which hasn't been
> maintained for several years, which you got from a secret source, and whose
> whose Hackage page specifically says it doesn't build beyond GHC 7.0.  I
> don't think this is indicative of a serious failure of Haskell.
>
> Tom

Patrick Wheeler
Patrick.John.Wheeler at gmail.com
Patrick.J.Wheeler at rice.edu