[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Thu May 2 16:14:25 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 6:26 AM, Adrian May
<adrian.alexander.may at gmail.com>wrote:

> How about the Haskell Platform? Is that ancient history? Certainly not: it
> doesn't compile on anything but the very newest GHC.

I think you're missing the point of the platform! It is an explicit set of
versions, including GHC, that make a stable reference set of packages on
which to build, test, and deploy. Each version of the platform explicitly
states with equality constraints the exact version of each component so
that it will be the same for everyone.

You use the HP - with the GHC it comes with (or specifies) - as a set. You
want to use GHC 7.4.1? Use HP 2012.2.0.0. Once installed you can install
newer versions of the component packages if needed (though cabal-dev or
cabal sandboxing is strongly encouraged in such a case to avoid "cabal
hell".)

And unless somebody can explain to me how I would rescue my business now if
> I had opted for WASH

By patching it. Surely we are talking about minor changes here.

- Mark