[Haskell-cafe] Backward compatibility

Tom Ellis tom-lists-haskell-cafe-2013 at jaguarpaw.co.uk
Thu May 2 15:54:40 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 02, 2013 at 09:26:15PM +0800, Adrian May wrote:
> How about the Haskell Platform? Is that ancient history? Certainly not: it
> doesn't compile on anything but the very newest GHC. Not 7.4.1 but 7.4.2.

I'm uninformed in such matters, but from

    http://www.haskell.org/platform/changelog.html

it looks like GHC 7.4.2 is *part* of Haskell Platform 2012.4.0.0, so it
doesn't make sense to talk about the latest Platform without 7.4.2.

I know that sounds like a technicality, but I don't think it actually is!
The important question is whether *your* old code breaks with the latest
Platform, not whether the latest Platform breaks with GHC 7.4.1.

Tom