[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Singapore Meetup

Corentin Roux corentin.roux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 10:34:27 UTC 2013

Hi Jesse,

Just saw your email. I started the data science team at Zalora and was
behind the adoption of Haskell.

As a short background, I didn't know how to program 2 years ago, when I
left a finance job for a small startup in Australia. I didn't know anything
about business intelligence either, and started with excel sheets. But the
work was very repetitive so I picked up programming to try and automate
some of it. After I moved to the South East Asian version of the same
company, Zalora, I had read up a lot more, including books like SICP, and
all of Paul Graham's essays. I liked both his concept of the "blub" ladder
of abstraction, and his idea of using a programming language as a "secret
weapon". Lisp is nice, but the pure nature of Haskell and the work that was
done on the compiler both convinced me that it was a better secret weapon
to solve my issue of not having enough budget or time to set up a standard
BI setup (I separately was not too happy with SaaS providers anyway, so
decided that in-house was the only way we could afford what I wanted).

I had picked up enough Haskell to hire the first person (Dat Le) on the
basis of his answers to a bunch of exercises we used as a filter (we were
also helped by Hisham Zarka, current CMO of another Rocket company, Namshi
and former Googler in MV). Dat did an extraordinary amount of work acting
as proof of concept, much of it in Haskell, so it worked out even better
than expected and we picked up enough budget to build a proper team. We
called it "Data Science" because that seems to be the current buzz word for
hiring smart guys.

Haskell is unique in that:
- it has a well defined standard with enormous amounts of research going
into it (both the language, and its libraries);
- the purity simplifies scaling, which I already needed, as well as all the
standard improvements from catching most bugs before compiling, shorter
code, etc.;
- it is relatively hard to write Haskell that compiles as a beginner, thus
acting as a natural talent filter (that can be expanded upon: it also
attracts the kind of people who enjoy programming for its own sake, just
like Lisps).

I would disagree that there are very few people that know the language. I
did put up my first ad as Python, with a preference for people with
"experience in FPLs, like Haskell, Clojure, Erlang or Scala". I had over
200 applications, of which less than 5% were people we'd consider working
with (mostly "Greetings! I believe my extensive experience and considerable
skills make me an ideal fit for your company."). Every ad thereafter has
been in Haskell, and on average over half the applicants are good enough to
be hired (which is a great situation to be in as an employer, although I
feel bad for the Haskellers meeting so few opportunities). The community's
quality is simply exceptional.

I'll post more about its use, which is rapidly expanding beyond "data
science", in a few weeks.

If anybody is interested: http://www.haskellers.com/jobs/61

Best,

Corentin