[Haskell-cafe] getting source

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Mon Dec 16 15:30:13 UTC 2013

* Doug McIlroy <doug at cs.dartmouth.edu> [2013-12-16 10:08:58-0500]
> > > It is a shame that when you look something up in Hayoo,
> > > you can immediately look at the source--but you can't
> >
> > You can, but not for every package; try looking up the "map" function, you
> > will see a link to the source at the right of the page.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Henk-Jan van Tuyl
>
> Yes, I said you can look at the source, but not compile it.
> Hayoo's yellow "source" links get HTML generated from source--
> a rendering intended for eyeballs, not compilers.
> What I suggested is that the HTML include a link to the
> underlying .hs file. Why should you have to go hassle with
> git or some other repository, and maybe cabal too, to get
> code that's right before your eyes?

Most of the time it wouldn't compile anyway. The cabal file may contain
information about other packages and their versions required to build
this code, language extensions that have to be enabled, and so on. Also,
there's a high probability that the module will import other modules
from the same package.

Roman