[Haskell-cafe] finding "good work" in CS

Kim-Ee Yeoh ky3 at atamo.com
Wed Dec 11 21:05:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Dennis Raddle <dennis.raddle at gmail.com>wrote:

> So what do I want to do for my life's work, once I can overcome this
> illness and get back to work full-time?
>
> I hope I can work with beauty in some form.

Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder.

Have you looked at "Land the Tech Job You Love" by the Pragmatic label?
Chapter 1 might be free and well worth the read, approx 10 pages.

Something that strikes me about your emails is that you're focused on your
wants and needs. Which is important. But a job is ultimately a trade: you
give up X in return for Y.

Grad school these days is no different; admissions DO actively look for
that X, even if that X is different from that of a commercial setting.

Think about what those X's might be -- as in, what does the other party
want. Feel free to continue the convo on this list!

-- Kim-Ee