[Haskell-cafe] GHCi linker

Alexander Pakhomov ker0sin at yandex.ru
Mon Dec 9 06:43:00 UTC 2013

Hi. Trying to runhaskell following:

import Graphics.UI.Gtk

main = print "OK"

I got
GHCi runtime linker: fatal error: I found a duplicate definition for symbol
   locale_charset
whilst processing object file
   /usr/local/lib/libintl.a
This could be caused by:
   * Specifying the same object file twice on the GHCi command line
   * An incorrect `package.conf' entry, causing some object to be
     loaded twice.
GHCi cannot safely continue in this situation.  Exiting now.  Sorry.

ghc works fine and creates working executable. In ghci "import Graphics.UI.Gtk" works too.

What is the difference between runhaskell, ghci interactive and ghc linkers?
ghc 7.6.3 running on OpenBSD. It is built from ports system with default patches. I don't see any patch that touches GHCi linker.