[Haskell-cafe] RFC: rewrite-with-location proposal

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Dec 5 12:13:33 UTC 2013

Simon

Interesting!

There's been lot of work on this kind of thing, mostly collected here:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ExplicitCallStack

I didn't know about your work, so I've added it.

I'd be happy to see progress on this front. Tristan's "Finding the needle" stuff was close to "ready" but there were some awkward points (described in his paper) that meant he didn't feel it was done.

To progress this, it'd be helpful to look at his work, articulate what the differences are, perhaps take the best of both, identify weak spots, and figure out what (if anything) should be done about them.

We don't want the best to be the enemy of the good, but it's also worth ensuring that we take advantage of all the land-mine-discovery that earlier work has done.

Simon