[Haskell-cafe] On Markdown in Haddock and why it's not going to happen

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Sat Aug 31 20:14:42 CEST 2013

Hello,

I disagree.

While none of your detail points are wrong, they mainly focus on the
fact that there is no 1-to-1 mapping between the existing haddock markup
and Markdown. I don't think there needs to be. If Markdown can do
something new, that something can be added; if something doesn't make
sense in Haddock (like horizontal rules), we ignore them.

I don't think original and markdown syntax should be mixed in the same
file. That would make everything impossible to parse and difficult to write.

As for which markdown implementation to use: I think it really doesn't
matter that much in practice. Github and pandoc can both render
documentation to my pleasing; I have yet to find a difference between
them that would be a practical problem for my documentation efforts.

Regarding module and type links: They are links, so probably just
representing them as Markdown links would be cleanest. [SomeThing]()
with an empty reference could make haddock automatically figure out what
is wanted or default to a type, and you could be explicit with
[SomeThing](module), [SomeThing](type) and [SomeThing](class).

For headings, why is CPP a problem? CPP ignores haddock comments,
haddock should ignore CPP. There is no reason to put CPP macros into
comments.

Regarding emphasis, **foo** would simply not be a heading in an export
list. Using markdown haddock, we will have markdown headings for that.

Markdown being claimed to be "for editing documents for the Web" doesn't
make our efforts impossible. Pandoc can easily create latex output from
it, and Github can use it as a documentation language for programming
perfectly fine. So can we.

Did I address all your points?

Niklas