[Haskell-cafe] Yet Another Forkable Class

John ExFalso 0slemi0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 16:50:23 CEST 2013

To be honest I'm not so sure about these "effects"... Simply the fact that
the Member class needs -XOverlappingInstances means that we cannot have
duplicate or polymorphic effects. It will arbitrarily pick the first match
in the former and fail to compile in the latter case.

Furthermore I don't really understand the way open sums are implemented.
These unions should be disjoint, but the way they're implemented in the
paper they try to be "true" unions which cannot be done as that would need
type equality (-XOverlappingInstances is a hack around this)

A correct disjoint open sum would behave well with duplicate and
polymorphic types in the type list. For example we should be able to
project the open sum equivalent of Either String String into the second
String but we cannot with the implementation in the paper. This means we
need to ~index~ the type list instead of picking the result type and
"trying for equality" with each entry. Something like this:
http://lpaste.net/92069

Of course this is very inconvenient and simply replaces the monad
transformers' lifts with a static index into the "effect" list.
In general I think there is no convenient way of stacking effects that is
also type safe. At some point we have to disambiguate which effect we are
trying to use one way or the other. The implementation in the paper simply
picks a heuristic and chooses the first effect that seems to match and
discards the others.