[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform and Leksah on Windows

Hamish Mackenzie hamish.k.mackenzie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 08:27:24 CEST 2013

On 9 Aug 2013, at 07:58, Gregory Weber <gdweber at iue.edu> wrote:

> GTK and its (non-Haskell) dependencies seem to be the tricky part.
> I found the instructions for installing Gtk2hs on Windows
>
>    http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Gtk2Hs/Installation#Windows
>
> a bit sketchy, so wrote a blog post with more detailed instructions:
>
>    http://spottedmetal.blogspot.com/2013/07/setting-up-haskell-gtk-development.html
>
> I normally work with Linux; Windows experts could probably
> make some improvements in my procedures.

To install Gtk 3 on Windows I installed a Fedora VM and set it up
to cross compile windows Gtk 3 apps.  This is actually much easier
than installing on Gtk 3 on windows.  Fedora and OpenSUSE have
mingw32 rpms for all your windows needs.  They even include stuff
like WebKit.

I then shared the DLLs and header files with my Windows machine
and installed Gtk2Hs using those.

If you would rather not go to the trouble of installing a VM,
then there is a python script in this article might help (I have
not tried it)...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6006689/where-can-i-download-precompiled-gtk-3-binaries-or-windows-installer

Next time I have to refresh my Windows build machine I will try
to document the process.

Hamish