[Haskell-cafe] GSoC proposal: Haskell AST-based refactoring and API upgrading tool

Alexander Kjeldaas alexander.kjeldaas at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 10:32:53 CEST 2013

There is another aspect to this:  How do you get maintainers to apply the
patches?  How should hackage be changed to accomodate large-scale
refactorings?

There was a discussion on this mailing list related to build regressions on
GHC 7.6 last year.

All of the regressions could be fixed using perl regexps, and it was only a
few hours of work, much less than the work involved in the discussion
itself.  I downloaded all of hackage and did the fixes using perl.

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2012-August/103155.html

However, without the community infrastructure to actually apply the
patches, the problem is not solved.

I think this is mainly a community/organizational issue.  Refactoring is
not really the problem, but of course better refactoring abilities are good.

Alexander