[Haskell-cafe] Looking for portable Haskell or Haskell like language

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr
Sat Apr 27 18:36:31 CEST 2013

Christopher Howard:
> I was wondering if there was perhaps
> another language very similar to Haskell (but presumably simpler) with a
> super portable compiler easily built from source, which I could try.
>
> I'll admit -- I haven't tried the HUGS compiler for Haskell. The quick
> description didn't make it sound much more portable than GHC, but I
> guess I could try it if I heard some good reasons to think it would be
> more portable.
Is the portability which worries you, or the age of your system?

Hugs (and Gofer before) are simply sufficiently old... I used them on
Red Hat in one of my previous lives.
Do you really need to compile your system from sources?

There are binaries everywhere. If you want a *simpler* language, perhaps
try Miranda? Also a quite ancient language...

Or, perhaps a newer one, in some aspects simpler than Haskell (but far
from any simplicity): Clean.

Perhaps it might help to know what do you need it for...

The best

Jerzy Karczmarczuk