[Haskell-cafe] Implementing an embedded language that threads a global structure.

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 06:42:55 CEST 2013

Hi Ian,
I have a couple of questions for you -

1. Could you explain why a lambda calculus like language embedded in
Haskell would be useful - I ask this because, the way I understand, Haskell
is already such a language - one could easily chose to restrict oneself to
just function definition and application. Perhaps an example problem which
can be expressed more clearly in your described embedded language but not
in Haskell would help me understand your point of view better.

2. Have you considered using the state monad?

I am personally attempting to figure out a way to embed Perl in Haskell -
as in, describe Perl like code (but statically checked) in Haskell and then
generate Perl that I could use to execute on server farms which run on old
Linux kernels where I cannot run Haskell code.

I totally get that "edge of understanding" feeling :)

Regards,
Kashyap