[Haskell-cafe] Two GHC-related GSoC Proposals

Patrick Palka patrick at parcs.ath.cx
Mon Apr 22 04:34:29 CEST 2013

GHC for the most part is already thread-safe. There are a few data
structures that persist between module compilations, but they're mostly
just caches that're already modified in an atomic fashion. Interleaving
updates to these caches shouldn't cause any problems as long as the updates
are done atomically. There is also a bit of top-level global state that
needs attention, like the FastString table, the PersistentLinkerState and
the unique-supply counter. The GHCi linker may need to be made thread-safe,
and so will the interface loader. Deletion of temporary files will need to
be handled more carefully. And.. that's about it as far as making the
compiler thread safe goes, I think. The rest of the compilation pipeline
just performs benign side effects, if any at all. Of course, unforeseen
issues will pop up but I think I have enough baseline experience and
familiarity with the GHC codebase to be able to complete the project within
the given time frame. (Or maybe I'm just being naive -- there must be a
good reason why it hasn't yet been done!)

Thanks for your feedback.