[Haskell-cafe] Two GHC-related GSoC Proposals

Alp Mestanogullari alpmestan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 22:35:14 CEST 2013

Hi,

I think the first proposal may be a bit too much for a GSoC, depending on
how much you actually are familiar with the code base. If you can write
down everything that needs to be done, in a detailed way (I mean a *lot* of
details), for each of these steps, and if you sincerely consider all of
these stuffs can be done in 3 months, yeah, that would be great! For
example, making the compilation pipeline thread safe may end up being
trickier than expected if it's not studied properly before making a
proposal.

The latter is a good idea, and a good proposal would ideally include some
estimation on how it can impact some benchmarks/projects. It looks much
less like a "trap" and if you propose enough improvements that it can fill
a whole GSoC, considering how big the impact can be, yes, this would of
course be a good idea.

Alp Mestanogullari