[Haskell-cafe] Functional Programming Internship @ Intel

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 02:10:39 CEST 2013

[I'm posting on behalf of my colleague Jesse Bingham. While Jesse and I
work for different groups at Intel, we collaborate quite often, and I do
expect to work with the intern to an extent as well. To that end, I'm happy
to answer any questions you might have. Otherwise, direct all
correspondence to Jesse as indicated below. -Levent.]

Hi, we are looking to hire an intern to fill the below position.  If
interested, please send your resume to jesse.d.bingham at intel.com.  Thanks

Intern SW Engr. Formal Verification - 708053

Description

Design and Technology Solutions (DTS) creates the software that caters to
Intel's insatiable appetite for innovating silicon technology. Through our
CAD solutions and engineering services, we enable Intel's process engineers
to achieve the technical breakthroughs required to deliver tomorrows
technology, and we help Intel's architects and chip designers develop
products that change the world. To us, Moore's law is the imperative that
drives our work to continuously improve the ways we explore technology
options, so we can deliver better products, faster.

As a software engineer in DTS, you will work as part of a
multi-disciplinary team to create software tools that meet Intel's
specific, rapidly evolving requirements for designing, manufacturing,
testing, and packaging silicon products. We work very closely with process
engineers and chip designers (our internal customers) around the world, to
understand their technical challenges, and to create proprietary CAD
solutions. We help them apply our software to answer critical questions,
and to address their design and manufacturing objectives. The daily work in
DTS spans the complete software life cycle, from early research to mature
production code with industrial robustness and quality. To deliver critical
new features in our established solutions, or to create new CAD
capabilities beyond the state of art in the industry, our teams frequently
go through all steps in software development - problem analysis,
requirements definition, design, coding, test, and deployment. As a member
of our team, you are expected to participate actively in all these steps.
Success in this fast-paced, results-oriented environment requires strong
analytical skills and the ability to perform productive teamwork, which
depends on very good communication skills.

In this particular job opening, you will join DTS's Formal Verification
Center of Expertise (FVCoE) for a three month placement in Hillsboro,
Oregon, in the timeframe of fall 2013. A primary responsibility of FVCoE is
the maintenance of a large code base used for formal verification of
Intel's core datapath designs; you will help rework several key aspects of
this code to make it more robust and user-friendly. This will involve
strict software engineering discipline to deliver robust, quality code that
must perform reliably and predictably, The code is written in an in-house
functional language called reflect. Reflect is similar to the popular
functional languages Ocaml and Haskell; hence you should have considerable
experience with one of these. Experience with formal verification is
preferred but not necessarily required. Applicants will ideally be working
towards a graduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline.

Qualifications

Minimum Requirements

Skills: Functional programming coding skills; experience with one or more
scripting languages; analytical skills for problem abstraction; broad
theoretical knowledge in computer science, including algorithms and data
structures; familiarity with standard software engineering practices.

Experience: acquired through coursework, internships, or personal projects.
Experience in applied computer programming in a functional language.

Education: working toward an MS or Ph.D. degree in Computer Science,
Applied Mathematics, or in an Engineering field related to silicon
technology. Strong senior undergraduates will also be considered.

Preferred Requirements

Skills: Familiarity with: hardware formal verification techniques
(especially symbolic simulation, binary decision diagrams, parametric
substitutions, case splitting), arithmetic/floating point computer hardware
designs, IEEE 754 floating point standard, Intel x86 instruction set.