[Haskell-cafe] 64-bit vs 32-bit haskell platform on Mac: misleading notice on Platform website?

Christiaan Baaij christiaan.baaij at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 16:43:34 CEST 2012

Running gloss [1] programs from GHCi only works with the 32bit version of the latest Haskell Platform.
The 64-bit version just shows a black window and GHCi becomes unresponsive.

I use gloss to display trees and graphs in the functional programming course given at our university.
The ability to work within the interpreter, and able to depict the graphs/trees, really enhances the student's understanding of their programs.

I am hence glad that there is still the 32-bit recommendation for OS X.

Cheers,

Christiaan

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/gloss - install with: cabal install gloss --flags="-GLUT GLFW"