[Haskell-cafe] GHC maintenance on Arch

timothyhobbs at seznam.cz timothyhobbs at seznam.cz
Sun Oct 28 22:54:23 CET 2012

I didn't wish to suggest that the latest version shouldn't be available.  If
you read my entire message, the suggestion I made, is that arch should
install the latest with the next to latest in parallel and do so by default
rather than as some weird and hacky work-around.

Sending pull requests is great.  But one shouldn't have to put their system
back together after an upgrade.  You ask me what package has broken, but
that's not important.  A package always breaks.  Right now, the situation,
is that a haskell user on a completely standard setup, will type pacman -Syu
and end up with a non functioning build toolchain.  You can of course work
to fix this toolchain, and send pull requests. But say it takes a week to
update all the packages you use.  That's a week of delay to a project.
Furthermore, it is not very efficient for me to go and upgrade other people'
s packages.  Often times on this list there have been discussions regarding
the upper bounds on cabal packages.  Some people believe that the upper
bounds should be removed entirely, while others believe that they should be
an educated guess made by the developer.  Tweaking upper bounds when I'm not
the developer then makes my guessing all the less educated.  Me tweaking
packages which I do not know and sending pull requests is not only going to
cost me more time than it would cost the package author, it is likely to end
up with me making the wrong changes and lead to a reduction in the quality
of the code.

  There seems to be a bit of a clash between ghc being a tool, and ghc being
a toy.  There need not be.  Your works-for-me is great but it is meaningless
to those of us who use ghc as a tool for larger projects.

Timothy