[Haskell-cafe] Teaching Haskell @ MOOCs like Coursera or Udacity

Eric Rasmussen ericrasmussen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:06:33 CEST 2012

I can see that the required effort would be prohibitive, but after thinking
about this some more I do think there are a couple of nice advantages:

1) Quizzes and graded assignments offer some structure to self study, and
having some form of feedback/validation when you first get started is
helpful. I learned a lot of Haskell by making up my own assignments, but
not everyone is willing to put that kind of time into it.

2) I know several developers with great engineering skills who are taking
the Scala course because it gives them a structured way to get into it and
have something to show for the time on their resume. They're busy
professionals whose skills and expertise in large projects could really
benefit the Haskell community, but I've had no luck convincing them that
it's worth the time spent researching and learning on their own.

Scala already has some appeal for them if they have to work with java code
or have spent years with object oriented programming, so I think the more
the Haskell community can do to bring them here, the better.

Whether or not it's feasible to create the course is another issue. I don't
have an academic background or any academic affiliations to get the ball
rolling, but if anyone wants to make a course I'll volunteer to help proof
materials, test quizzes and assignments, and work on utilities to submit
and grade assignments.