[Haskell-cafe] Cabal failures...

Niklas Larsson metaniklas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:14:43 CET 2012

I just want to say that Windows support is much better than one could
get the impression from this thread. I use Haskell on Windows as well
as OSX and Linux. I think it works very well now, previously one had
to know a bit of trickery to get things done.

I don't think I have run into any more trouble on Windows than on the
unixes, certainly there has been less headaches than with OSX (mostly
GHC there), and you don't get the distro-hackage tension as on Linux.
It is a bit annoying that packages depending on unix don't just quit
upfront instead of installing a scad of dependencies first. But a
mucked up package database that this thread is about can happen on any
platform.

The problem seems to be that cabal-install is so wonderfully easy to
use that it obscures that there are no guarantees that things will
just work and that it is often quite possible to fix it yourself by a
tweak. If people think that what "cabal install" does behind the
scenes is some advanced magic, it will not occur to them that they can
do cabal unpack, fix the problem, and then cabal configure, cabal
build and cabal install.

Niklas