[Haskell-cafe] Cabal failures...

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Wed Nov 21 03:22:25 CET 2012

Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:

> This counter-argument is flawed. Why limit oneself to one's own
> household? (Garage? Basement?) Get out more! Visit a friend.

If that friend is not a coder, they are unlikely to have the dev tools
installed.

> Talk to an
> internet cafe owner for a special deal to run one's own programs.

Ditto.

> Rent virtual machine time in the cloud.

I've already thrown a bunch of money at the microsoft machine for very
poor results. If someone else set up and ran windows VMs and gave me
access that would make testing on windows far more attractive.

I just found that Amazon AWS has a free teir that includes windows
as an option:

    https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Its still a huge sink of time and effort to set one up to a state where
its ready to build haskell packages. Maybe if someone set up a github
project that contained a script that could be downloaded onto a bare
windows machine and then bootstrap that machine into a full haskell dev
machine you might see some progress on this front.

Erik