[Haskell-cafe] Cabal failures...

Clark Gaebel cgaebel at uwaterloo.ca
Wed Nov 21 03:21:38 CET 2012

+1 to this. The friction of finding, setting up, and using Windows isn't
even comparable to just sshing into another unix box and testing something
quickly.

As a university student, I also find it relatively rare that I get to test
on a Windows machine. My personal computer runs linux, my technical friends
run linux or osx, and my non-technical ones run osx. Also, all the school
servers that I have access to run either FreeBSD or Linux.

If I want to run something on linux system, I have about 40 different
computers that I can ssh into and run code on.

If I want to run something on osx, I just have to call a friend and ask if
they can turn on their computer and allow me to ssh in (to my own account,
of course).

If I want to run something on Windows, I have to track down a friend (in
person!), ask to borrow their computer for a few hours, get administrator
access to install the Haskell Platform, get frustrated that HP hasn't been
upgraded to 7.6, and give up.

It's just not practical, especially for the large amount of small (<500
LOC) packages on Hackage.

  - Clark