[Haskell-cafe] Cabal failures...

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 00:15:02 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:55 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> > cabal install -v cabal-install
>
> Not sure if you're running into this one, but a configuration that
> wasn't working for me:
>
> 1) Install Haskell Platform
> 2) Install GHC 7.6.1
> 3) cabal install cabal-install
>
> As I recall, the error had something to do with a Cabal-generated
> 'Paths' file assuming the Prelude exported 'catch'.  It was affecting
> a bunch of other packages too, which forced me to upgrade
> cabal-install.
>
> To get things working, I had to boot GHC 7.6 from my system PATH,
> upgrade cabal-install using GHC 7.4, and then put 7.6 back in the
> system path.  After doing that, everything has worked well with GHC
> 7.6.

The issue is that cabal-install-1.16.0.1 is broken on Windows. We have a
new, fixed cabal-install-1.16.0.2 out, but if you were unlucky enough to
install the broken one you need to delete that binary and install
cabal-install again (either by using the bootstrap.sh script in the
cabal-install repo or by some other means).