[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Can Haskell outperform C++?

Colin Adams colinpauladams at gmail.com
Thu May 17 09:44:15 CEST 2012

Oops. Forget to reply to all.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Colin Adams <colinpauladams at gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2012 08:43
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?
To: Roman Werpachowski <roman.werpachowski at gmail.com>

On 17 May 2012 07:12, Roman Werpachowski <roman.werpachowski at gmail.com>wrote:

> It depends on what you use the code for. If I run an overnight report
> for the trading book of my bank in 16 hours, it is
> not acceptable and is a disaster. If I run it in 8h, it's OK-ish. In
> business settings, you often have strict deadlines and
> optimizing the code to be 2x faster can make a huge difference, as you
> change from missing the deadline to
> meeting a deadline.

Seconded.
I remember once being asked to examine a certain batch program for
performance improvements. I spotted an obvious inefficiency, and made a
recommendation, which was implemented. It saved something like 10 - 30
minutes on the overnight run (which took hours), so I was disappointed with
the result. But the client was delighted, as the run now fitted into the
batch window.