[Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?

Roman Werpachowski roman.werpachowski at gmail.com
Thu May 17 08:12:18 CEST 2012

> Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 06:54:08 -0400
> From: wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>
> Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Can Haskell outperform C++?
> To: haskell-cafe at haskell.org

> But on the other hand, there are quite a lot of people who focus
> excessively on "optimization" when the actual differences for the code
> they're writing are either negligible (e.g., because of I/O bottlenecks)
> or uninteresting (e.g., a 2x slowdown is a nuisance rather than a
> crisis).

It depends on what you use the code for. If I run an overnight report
for the trading book of my bank in 16 hours, it is
not acceptable and is a disaster. If I run it in 8h, it's OK-ish. In
business settings, you often have strict deadlines and
optimizing the code to be 2x faster can make a huge difference, as you
change from missing the deadline to
meeting a deadline.

Regards,
RW