[Haskell-cafe] New in haskell for old-timers?

Henk-Jan van Tuyl hjgtuyl at chello.nl
Sat Mar 31 00:04:47 CEST 2012

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 22:45:40 +0200, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, back to the original topic, some of the big items that I would
> mention to your friend include:
>   * cabal/cabal-dev
>   * hackage (and some of the better known libraries,
> Data.Vector/Data.Text/Data.ByteString)
>   * Type Families
>   * Haskell 2010 is the current rev of the language standard

Don't forget:
  - Haddock
  - Cabal (the standard, not the program)
  - Darcs
  - Hoogle
  - Hayoo
  - Better documentation in the base libraries
  - The Haskell Platform
  - Better performance of compiled Haskell programs
  - Improved Windows support
  - The ongoing Haskell Prime process for updating the Haskell language
    (See http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_prime )
  - IDEs: EclipseFP and Leksah
  - The popular xmonad
    ( http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad )
  - The debugger in GHCi
  - The popularity of Haskell on Reddit, Stack Overflow, IRC channels
  - The new site http://www.haskellers.com/
  - More books,
    see http://members.chello.nl/hjgtuyl/tourdemonad.html
  - An enormous growth of e-mail on the mailing lists
  - An enormous growth of the number of packages
  - QuickCheck (this one is not very new)
  - The Industrial Haskell Group
  - The haskell.org committee (was formed a year ago to formalise the
    previously ad-hoc arrangements around managing the haskell.org
    infrastructure and money, see
      http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell.org_committee )
  - New concepts for I/O: enumerators/iteratees, conduits
  - Many new extensions to the language, in GHC

There is probably even more.

For changes in the Haskell language, see
   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell_2010

Regards,
Henk-Jan van Tuyl

--