[Haskell-cafe] Mathematics and Statistics libraries

Aleksey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 15:54:11 CEST 2012

On 25.03.2012 14:52, Tom Doris wrote:
> Hi Heinrich,
> If we compare the GHCi experience with R or IPython, leaving aside any
> GUIs, the help system they have at the repl level is just a lot more
> intuitive and easy to use, and you get access to the full manual
> entries. For example, compare what you see if you type :info sort into
> GHCi versus ?sort in R. R gives you a view of the full docs for the
> function, whereas in GHCi you just get the type signature.
Ingrating haddock documentation into GHCi would be really helpful but
it's GSoC project on its own.

For me most important difference between R's repl and GHCi is that
:reload wipes all local binding. Effectively it forces to write
everything in file and to avoid doing anything which couldn't be fitted
into one-liner. It may not be bad but it's definitely different style

And of course data visualization. Only library I know of is Chart[1] but
I don't like API much.

I think talking about data frames is a bit pointless unless we specify
what is data frame. Basically there are two representations of tabular
data structure: array of tuples or tuple of arrays. If you want first go
for Data.Vector.Vector YourData. If you want second you'll probably end
up with some HList-like data structure to hold arrays.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/Chart