[Haskell-cafe] Mathematics and Statistics libraries

Tom Doris tomdoris at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 12:52:34 CEST 2012

Hi Heinrich,

If we compare the GHCi experience with R or IPython, leaving aside any
GUIs, the help system they have at the repl level is just a lot more
intuitive and easy to use, and you get access to the full manual
entries. For example, compare what you see if you type :info sort into
GHCi versus ?sort in R. R gives you a view of the full docs for the
function, whereas in GHCi you just get the type signature.

I usually def a command to call out to ":!hoogle --info %", which
gives what you expect :info should. So, as is usually the case,
there's a solution in Haskell that matches the features in other
systems, but it's not the default and you have to invest effort
getting it set up right. This is fine for Haskell devs who do some
stats work, but it represents an offputtingly steep learning curve for
quants who are willing to learn a little Haskell but expect
(reasonably) some basic stuff like inline help to Just Work.

Tom