[Haskell-cafe] Open-source projects for beginning Haskell students?

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Mar 25 09:38:33 CEST 2012

John Lato wrote:
>> From: Heinrich Apfelmus
>>
>> Also, as far as I am aware, you can't do low-level audio programming in
>> SuperCollider, i.e. play a list of samples that you've calculated
>> yourself. That's cool if you're only interested in sound design, but bad
>> for learning how audio programming works.
>
> I think this charge is a bit unfair.  If you really want to do
> low-level stuff, it's possible within SC.  You just have to work in
> SuperCollider, not Haskell (AFAIK).

Ah, right, I meant from within Haskell, i.e. by communicating with the
SC3 server component. Even in SC you have to write unit generators in C,
I think, but I may well be mistaken.

> However, it is possible to transfer audio data between Haskell and
> Csound, in several ways.  The hCsound package comes with some examples
> of transferring the audio input and output streams between csound and
> haskell.  Named channels provide for even more complicated routing if
> you like.

I didn't know about the hCsound package, that might have saved me some work.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com