[Haskell-cafe] Open-source projects for beginning Haskell students?

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:38:01 CET 2012

> From: Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de>
>
> Tom Murphy wrote:
>>      If you want to do Haskell audio synthesis, you could also use
>> hsc3 (good start here: http://slavepianos.org/rd/ut/hsc3-texts/). With
>> hsc3 you can start on serious audio synthesis with only a few lines of
>> Haskell. In my opinion it could use a much larger community.
>
> While Rohan's bindings to SuperCollider are great, I have found that
> SuperCollider itself is quite difficult to understand for a new user.
> (My tomata-rubato project aims to be much easier to learn.)
>
> Also, as far as I am aware, you can't do low-level audio programming in
> SuperCollider, i.e. play a list of samples that you've calculated
> yourself. That's cool if you're only interested in sound design, but bad
> for learning how audio programming works.

I think this charge is a bit unfair.  If you really want to do
low-level stuff, it's possible within SC.  You just have to work in
SuperCollider, not Haskell (AFAIK).

However, it is possible to transfer audio data between Haskell and
Csound, in several ways.  The hCsound package comes with some examples
of transferring the audio input and output streams between csound and
haskell.  Named channels provide for even more complicated routing if
you like.

John L.