[Haskell-cafe] Open-source projects for beginning Haskell students?

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Mar 22 15:53:26 CET 2012

serialhex wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Heinrich Apfelmus
> <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
>> The task is to implement a small audio synthesizer in Haskell.
> seriously?!?!  i'm not in his class, but i'm game!  i learn better
> when i'm working on something interesting, and i want to make my
> (currently pretty pathetic) haskell better and i *LOOOVVVVEEEEE*
> audio!  a haskell-based synth (or series of synths) would be really
> spiffy!  what do i have to know / learn / do?

Well, it's up to you, really. You need to learn a bit how audio
synthesis works, for instance starting with the following links.

Then, it's best to learn by programming various wave forms yourself and
playing around with them. I just finished implementing the necessary
Haskell backend for playing raw audio data. You can find it here:

The  testSine  function demonstrates how it works.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus