[Haskell-cafe] Summer of Code idea: Haskell Web Toolkit

Alejandro Serrano Mena trupill at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 20:47:30 CET 2012

I agree with you that maybe this proposal is vague for a GSoC, but I don't
think that websockets is a good option either, because not all browsers
support them. Indeed, web development has gone a long way without contant
communication with the server and I think Haskell should support this way
of working too.

My idea would rather go on the direction of using stablished Haskell
concepts to web development. Some ideas are:
- use an applicative interface like the one of Yesod for forms validation
and sending
- see the DOM via a Zipper interface, so widgets will "anchor" themselves
in some point of the tree and change things around them
- use FRP for Canvas interaction
- ...

Actually, thinking which Haskell concepts could behave well with
client-side development is an interesting discussion by its own :)