[Haskell-cafe] ghc-7.4 on CentOS-5.8 ?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Jun 27 09:53:44 CEST 2012

Hi Johannes,

 > ghc-7.0 is working but when I use it to compile 7.4,
 > it breaks with some linker error (relocation R_X86_64_PC32 ...)
 > it also suggests "recompile with -fPIC" but I don't see how.

I seem to remember that this is a problem with the old version of
GCC that's used to build the compiler. It can we avoided, though, by
disabling optimizations.

Try adding the following lines to a file called "mk/build.mk" before
running the build:

GhcLibWays = v
SRC_HC_OPTS        = -H64m -O0 -fasm    # -O -H64m
GhcStage1HcOpts    = -O -fasm
GhcStage2HcOpts    = -O0 -fasm          # -O2 -fasm
GhcLibHcOpts       = -O -fasm           # -O2 -XGenerics
GhcHcOpts          = -Rghc-timing
# GhcLibWays      += p
# GhcLibWays      += dyn
NoFibWays          =
STRIP_CMD          = :

I attached the RPM spec file that I used to build GHC 7.0.4 on
CentOS. It's quite likely that you can use it to automate the 7.4.x
build after editing some version numbers and file paths in it.

Good luck! :-)

Peter