[Haskell-cafe] Install a script with Cabal?

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 19:07:42 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org> wrote:
> Rogan Creswick <creswick at gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> I have a small project that installs a couple of Haskell tools and a
>>> script that uses these. Cabal will of course build and install the
>>> Haskell programs, but how can I get Cabal to install the script as
>>> well? There's a host of UserHooks available¹, but it'd probably be
>>> better to have an example than to try to experiment with the right
>>> configuration.
>
>> I don't have an example handy, but I think you'll want preInts,
>> instHook, or postInst.  I'd probably go with postInst unless you need
>> data provided by instHook's type that isn't passed to preInst or
>> postInst.
>
> I found an example¹ using copyHook. However, this seems to be the wrong
> thing, at least I am unable to get cabal to ever call this hook (or
> preCopy, etc).

I'm not sure if/when copy hooks are used during the typical cabal
configure/build/install process; I suspect they are not used.  There
is, however, a `cabal copy` command, which I believe does.  Not that
that helps you right now, but that may explain the behavior you saw.

>> LocalBuildInfo /probably/ has the details you need (eg: installDirTemplates).

This was harder than I thought.

Here's an example (I hacked an example on to the cabal-dev Setup.hs,
so there are extra imports you won't necessarily need -- full Setup.hs
is in the linked gist, the email only contains the relevant exceprts):

Gist:  https://gist.github.com/2876277

main = defaultMainWithHooks $
       simpleUserHooks { hookedPrograms = [cabalInstallProgram]
                       , postInst = postInstCp (postInst simpleUserHooks)
                       }

type PostInstHook = Args -> InstallFlags -> PackageDescription ->
LocalBuildInfo -> IO ()

postInstCp :: PostInstHook -> Args -> InstallFlags ->
PackageDescription -> LocalBuildInfo -> IO ()
postInstCp oldHook args iflags pDesc lbi = do
  let -- The filename to copy from:
      inFile :: FilePath
      inFile = "srcFileName.sh"

      -- The filename to copy to:
      outFile :: FilePath
      outFile = "destFileName.sh"

      prefix = fromFlag $ installDistPref iflags

      -- Make a concrete binDir from the LocalBuildInfo & PackageDescription:
      instBinDir :: FilePath
      instBinDir = bindir $ absoluteInstallDirs pDesc lbi
                                           (fromFlag $ copyDest
defaultCopyFlags)

      -- layer of indirection, in case we wanted to get a specific
      -- src directory from the cabal file:
      src :: FilePath
      src = inFile

      -- qualify the destination.
      dest :: FilePath
      dest = instBinDir </> outFile

  -- Do the copy, creating outFile in the bin dir:
  copyFile src dest

  -- now invoke the old hook:
  oldHook args iflags pDesc lbi

--Rogan