[Haskell-cafe] Install a script with Cabal?

Ivan Perez ivanperezdominguez at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 15:41:41 CEST 2012

I spent quite some time going through the cabal docs to generate some
files automatically with hails. I totally feel your pain :)

What I'm going to suggest is not really a solution to your problem,
but since modifying the hooks to install specific programs is not the
best solution either, you might want to try and write your script in
Haskell (using HSH, for instance). That way you would have a
multi-platform "script" that can be installed just like any other
Haskell program.

Regarding the general problem, the best I can think of would be adding
a field "Bin-files:" to the cabal file format, and have Cabal process
it properly. Maybe some of the maintainers of cabal can comment on
that.

Two more suggestions. If you are going to modify the hooks:
1) Do not call cp directly. Use copyFile if possible. "cp" is *nix dependent.
2) Read the name of the file to be copied from a configuration file.
It is much more likely that others (and you) will be able to reuse
your code if you do.

Cheers,
Ivan.

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HSH