[Haskell-cafe] Need inputs for a Haskell awareness presentation

Johan Holmquist holmisen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 10:59:39 CEST 2012

Maybe too late but here it is:

I was given a similar opportunity recently, but with only developers
in the audience (no managers), so I focused on coding examples and
functional programming in general rather than Haskell in particular
(although all code examples were Haskell).

One thing I tried to do was crushing the myth (?) that functional
programming is more difficult than imperative by showing an example of
typical imperative code and it's functional mate. I was afraid this
would not fly well because the particular code example was the
fibonacci sequence (it was the shortest most to the point example I
could think of then)[1]. To my surprise it was fairly well received
and I believe the point got through.

Other more real world code examples where shown (counting word
frequencies in a text file etc), introducing folding and mapping and
the ever useful list.

If I was to do this again, given the experience, I would try focus
more on the types of functions, to show how much can be learned about
a function's behaviour by just lookup at it's type. I feel this got
lost in my presentation due to me utilising type reconstruction to
show how writing code in a staticaly typed FPL like Haskell resembles
coding in scripting languages (succintness) but with the compiler
helping spot many errors.

Time is the obvious enemy when introducing an imperative audience to
FP. Code is mostly uninteresting for an audience who do not understand
it, so you may need to explain HOF:s, algebraic data types,  currying
(for Haskell) and maybe point free style, the ring operator etc. This
can easily steal the whole time slot if you are not careful.

I agree that using GHCI is very good, but I think you should be
careful if using emacs' ghci integration so the audience do not
believe interaction is only possible through emacs.

Best wishes!
/Johan

[1] Showing both the memoized zipWith version and the non-memoized and
incredibly inefficient version, explaining the difference.