[Haskell-cafe] Safe Haskell at the export symbol granularity?

David Terei dave.terei at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 02:28:36 CEST 2012

So this is a good question, sorry for the late reply. It's tricky as
the way typeclasses are imported and exported in Haskell is confusing.

Basically, instances are hard to control access to as they aren't part
of import or export statements. Importing a module that defines an
instances gives you those instances. This works transitively so you
have access to all instances defined below you in the dependency
graph.

Controlling access to a typeclass function is easy though, it works
just like a normal function. So in your example, the Safe module
wouldn't necessarily become unsafe but there is some unsatisfactory
trickiness.

 - untrusted code still couldn't access the type class as the
functions for it aren't exported.
 - the derived functions may or may not be safe anymore depending on
polymorphism:
   - If the derived functions don't have any polymorphism that would
allow consumers of the functions to choose what underlying typeclass
is used, then the module is still safe.
   - If they do, then yes untrusted code could choose what types to
use to cause the unsafe instance to be used, thus making the derived
functions unsafe. (This assumes the untrusted code has access to the
unsafe instance but as I said, this is hard to reason about since
instances are somewhat global).

there are solutions to this problem but its a tricky situation with
the solutions really being to be careful... I don't know how we could
do better. Tracking safety at the symbol level doesn't seem like it
would change this situation. Basically you want closed type classes or
a way to control what instances can be used (maybe by simply making
instances part of import/export lists) both of which are big changes
to Haskell.

I wrote some example code and a note about this stuff:

https://github.com/dterei/SafeHaskellExamples/tree/master/typeclasses

Cheers,
David