[Haskell-cafe] Logging pure code

Johan Brinch brinchj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:37:38 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Thomas Schilling
<nominolo at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27 July 2012 14:52, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva
> <marcotmarcot at gmail.com> wrote:
>> thread blocked indefinitely in an MVar operation
>
> IIRC, that means that a thread is blocked on an MVar and the MVar is
> only reachable by that thread.

This sounds right. STM has noticed that there's a thread waiting for
something that will never be available. It seems it have found a
deadlock.

I once tried mixing IO and STM actions (IO inside STM) and ended up
rewriting the code to seperate the two. Before the rewrite, I got some
of the strangest and most unpredictable errors I've ever seen in a
Haskell program. I reckon this could be related.

Here's the thread from back then:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2012-January/098453.html

--
Johan Brinch