[Haskell-cafe] Reddy on Referential Transparency

damodar kulkarni kdamodar2000 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:43:22 CEST 2012

So a language is referentially transparent if replacing a sub-term with
> another with the same denotation doesn't change the overall meaning?
> But then isn't any language RT with a sufficiently cunning denotational
> semantics?  Or even a dumb one that gives each term a distinct denotation.

That's neat ... I mean, by performing sufficiently complicated brain
gymnastics, one can do equational reasoning on C subroutines (functions!)
too.

So, there is no "big" difference between C and Haskell when it comes to
equational reasoning...

Regards,
Damodar