[Haskell-cafe] Reddy on Referential Transparency

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Fri Jul 27 14:08:31 CEST 2012

For those who haven’t seen it Uday Reddy has a comprehensive answer to a
to explain referential transparency on Stack Overflow.

For good measure he finishes with a rather scathing assessment of functional
programmers’ claim to ownership of RT:

    Functional programmers don't know much of this research.
   Their ideas on referential transparency are to be taken
   with a large grain of salt.

Marvellous! 'Tis rare to find such a robust assessment combined with
understanding (and it certainly makes me think a bit).

Have we become a bit complacent about RT?