[Haskell-cafe] Is (==) commutative?

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:13:04 CEST 2012

Depending on the context, it may or may not be wise to distinguish
between undefined and [undefined].  This is a matter of strictness,
laziness, and totality.  If you identify all bottoms as one, you
essentially restrict yourself to (what might as well be, for the
purposes of this discussion) a strict subset of the Haskell language.

If you distinguish between values that "contain" bottom and "are"
bottom, then you need to deal with the semantics of laziness.

Like I said, it is classically valid, so choosing these semantics
means that it will be safe.  But the undecidability of comparing
distinct bottoms means that you have to make a choice.