[Haskell-cafe] Some thoughts on Type-Directed Name

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Mon Jan 30 18:00:01 CET 2012

|  What would really, really help me is for someone to have a look at the 'solution' I
|  posted to the difficulties SPJ saw with the SORF approach. (I ref'd it in my reply to

  http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2011-December/021298.html

Some thoughts

* I don't think you need GetTy at all.  The attached version of your
  code gets rid of it.

* Your trick with SetrTy does, I think, support type-changing update.
  Good.  (Whether type-changing update is itself a valuable
  enough feature to be worth the extra complexity, I'm not certain,
  but perhaps that's a separate matter.)

* Your trick with SetTy to support update of polymorphic fields is, I
  belive, an (ingenious) hack that does not scale. I think it works
  only for fields that are quantified over one type variable with no
  constraints.

So, I think that update of polymorphic fields remains problematic.

Simon