[Haskell-cafe] Some thoughts on Type-Directed Name

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Sat Jan 28 10:24:36 CET 2012

> There is an effort underway to make Haskell's Records
> better. The discussion is ongoing on the ghc-users mail
> list, ...
> in the direction of making the most minimal changes
> possible to achieve some simple record name-spacing.
>
> Thanks,
> Greg Weber

Thank you Greg,

Yes I know, and I have been trying to follow along
(intermittently). Thank you for your attempts to marshall
the discussion.

What would really, really help me is for someone to have a
look at the 'solution' I posted to the difficulties SPJ saw
with the SORF approach. (I ref'd it in my reply to Steve.)

It seemed from my testing to address the needs. Since I got
it working in GHC 7.2.1, there's a good chance it will need
only "minimal changes" to implement (I'm thinking mostly
syntactic sugar) -- providing of course that it is workable
and generalisable enough.

It could possibly benefit from some of the new Kind-level
stuff in 7.4.1 (that SPJ used, but wasn't available to me at
the time).

I keep trying to make the time to write up the full proposal
on the Wiki. I see it as a 'tweak' to SORF. Given that I'm
supposed to have a day job, I'm reluctant to make time
until/unless someone else double-checks whether I'm barking
up the wrong tree.

Anthony