[Haskell-cafe] On the purity of Haskell

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Mon Jan 2 06:41:04 CET 2012

> ... World -> (x, World) ...

I look at this World parameter as purely hypothetical, a trick used to gain
> an intuition. Whereas Jerzy (I think) uses it to claim Haskell is
> referentially transparent - those differing x and y values come from
> different worlds, or different world-states.

I don't see this interpretation in Jerzy's words, and I'd be very surprised
if he had that sort of argument in mind.

If main returns a function of type "World -> (x, World)" wrapped in ...

Main does not return or denote such a thing. The idea that Haskell IO can
be accurately explained as (i.e., denotes) World -> (x,World) is a
persistent myth. That model cannot explain concurrency (even with the
outside world) or nondeterminism, both of which are part of Haskell IO. We
don't have an precise & accurate denotational model for IO, in contrast to
most other types in Haskell. Which is to say that while much of Haskell
programming is denotative, IO programming is not. Peter Landin, an
important figure in functional programming, proposed and defined this term
"denotative" as a substantive & precise replacement for the fuzzier notions
of "functional" and "declarative". He offered his definition and suggested
that "When faced with a new notation that borrows the functional appearance
of everyday algebra, it is (c) that gives us a test for whether the
notation is genuinely functional or merely masquerading."

Of course, various subsets of IO can be precisely and accurately modeled,
but so far not IO as we use it. It's very unlikely that we ever will have
such a (precise & accurate) model, and by design, as explained at
http://conal.net/blog/posts/notions-of-purity-in-haskell/#comment-22829 .

  - Conal