[Haskell-cafe] ANN: generic-deepseq 1.0.0.0

Andres Löh andres.loeh at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:28:39 CET 2012

Hi.

>> I don't understand what's going on here. Instances for V1 should of
>> course be defined if they can be! And in this case, a V1 instance
>> makes sense and should be defined. The definition itself doesn't
>> matter, as it'll never be executed.
>

> The definition certainly matters:

[...]

You're right. I was too quick to conclude the definition doesn't
matter. But it should still be there. V1 can occur in representations
of non-empty types (even if the current mechanism might not generate
them). You'd still want to be able to call generic functions on such
types.

Cheers,
  Andres