[Haskell-cafe] ANN: generic-deepseq 1.0.0.0

Maxime Henrion mhenrion at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 22:09:58 CET 2012

On Sun, 2012-02-19 at 21:06 +0100, Bas van Dijk wrote:
> On 19 February 2012 18:11, Maxime Henrion <mhenrion at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm guilty of not having preserved the "rnf :: a -> ()"
> > function as the class function though, it's a wrapper around "deepseq"
> > in my code. I just didn't see the point of having a class function with
> > such a signature versus having a function just like "seq :: a -> b ->
> > b". In retrospect, that might have been a bad idea, and maybe I should
> > switch to have an "rnf :: a -> ()" class function to make switching even
> > easier?
>
> I'm not sure but maybe a method like "rnf :: a -> ()" is easier to optimize.
>
> Also in my experience (with generics support in aeson and cereal) it's
> a very good idea (performance-wise) to INLINE your methods like I did
> in my previous message. Of course the only way to know for sure is the
> create some (criterion) benchmarks.

Well I wrote some dumb criterion benchmarks that run deepseq over
increasingly bigger lists of numbers, and it appears that using rnf as
the member function of the DeepSeq class indeed makes a _huge_
difference.

According to criterion, the performance of the old generic-deepseq code
was 6 to 7 times worse than that of the deepseq package. After switching
the class function to rnf, it got on par, if not better than the deepseq
package. I'm saying "if not", because I've observed contradicting
results from criterion, when I ran benchmarks for both packages at once,
and when I ran those separately. When running both at once,
generic-deepseq is slower than deepseq, except for the test with the
bigger list (see report-both.html). When ran separately, generic-deepseq
is consistantly faster (see report-deepseq.html and
report-gdeepseq.html). The criterion benchmark can be found on the
bitbucket repo at http://mu.org/~mux/report-deepseq.html.

I have released a 2.0.0.0 version of this package on hackage with this
change and a few more instances for base types.

Cheers,
Maxime Henrion