[Haskell-cafe] Haskell development in Mac OS X after Gatekeeper

Jack Henahan jhenahan at uvm.edu
Mon Feb 20 03:04:30 CET 2012

Well, the command-line tools are now available as a standalone package[1] separate from Xcode[2], so Apple's taken notice of and responded positively to large efforts like Homebrew and MacRuby. With that in mind, I don't think it's unreasonable to think this support also applies to other users of those tools, although the overall impact on source building is unclear so far. I haven't been able to find anything specific to that, yet.

But Gatekeeper isn't for programmers and the like. It's for people who don't even know where the menu option is. That's why there's an option to shut it off.

What's your setup like that you can't even use gdb in your own directory? That sounds unusual. And you can turn off the warning, either globally or selectively.[3][4]

[1]: http://kennethreitz.com/xcode-gcc-and-homebrew.html
[2]: https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action
[3]: http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/29/disable-the-are-you-sure-you-want-to-open-this-file-warning-dialogue-in-mac-os-x/
[4]: http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/12/disable-application-downloaded-from-the-internet-message-in-mac-os-x/

Jack Henahan
jhenahan at uvm.edu
==
Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
-- Michael R. Fellows
==