[Haskell-cafe] Haskell development in Mac OS X after Gatekeeper

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon Feb 20 02:27:31 CET 2012

On 20/02/2012, at 1:01 PM, Tom Murphy wrote:

> Does anyone know what this will mean for the future of Haskell
> development in OS X?:
>
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/security.html

Quoting that document:
	Or you can install all apps from anywhere,
	just as you can today.  You can even temporarily
	override your setting by Control-clicking, and
	install any app at any time. Gatekeeper leaves it all up to you.

So in the *short* term, it makes little difference.

> 1) Writing software for widespread use (a security setting is to only
> run software from the App Store, and I'd like to have my software
> function on users' computers.)

*Short* term, the most that will happen is that people will have to
say "yeah yeah I know just let me have it OK?".

Already in 10.6 there was this nagging feature where you click on a
downloaded document and it says "this was downloaded, do you really
want to open it" and it takes a painfully long time bouncing in the
dock before that dialogue box comes up.

Heck, I have to provide an administrator account & password when I
want to run GDB in my own directory on my own program.  (And you
have to love the way they removed the MacOS equivalent of truss
because it was superceded by DTrace, but you have to be superuser
to use DTrace...)

*Short* term, it's just more continuing low-level harassment by
Apple (even if perhaps with good intentions).  Long term, well,
there's a reason why I keep Solaris, Linux, and OpenBSD around...