[Haskell-cafe] Google Summer of Code 2012 Announced

Thomas Schilling nominolo at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 14 23:04:23 CET 2012

As Heinrich said, write a proposal.  It's a good idea to write one (or
more) before the actual deadline since that will leave enough time for
discussion.  The proposal is not just between you and the mentors -- it's a
good thing to have a public discussion about this, and it's a good way to
find a mentor for you.

On 14 February 2012 10:28, Andrei Varanovich <dotnetby at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> One question to more experienced GSoC'ers. I do understand that this is
> important to find mentors in advance.
> As soon as I think nowadays it is critical for the programming language
> ecosystem to handle BigData [1], have a proposal to implement HDFS [1]
> support for CloudHaskell [2] with some MapReduce abstractions.
>
> What would be the "right" way to communicate with potential mentors? I
> looked at http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ and it seems
> there is not so much going on there. Or, perhaps, this mailing list is just
> OK?
>
> [1]
> http://www.mckinsey.com/Insights/MGI/Research/Technology_and_Innovation/Big_data_The_next_frontier_for_innovation
> [2] http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/
> [3] https://github.com/jepst/CloudHaskell
>
> Thanks,
> Andrei
>

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:46 PM, Sergiu Ivanov <
> unlimitedscolobb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM, Heinrich Apfelmus
>> <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > What's the time frame for project proposals? I have two ideas in my head
>> > that I think are unusually cool. To make a successful SOC project, they
>> need
>> > a bit of preparation on my part, though, so I'm wondering how much time
>> > have to implement a proof of concept or two.
>>
>> This is the official timeline:
>>
>> http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#timeline
>>
>> Looking forward to reading your übercool proposals :-)
>>
>> Sergiu

Push the envelope. Watch it bend.